Sunday, July 15, 2012

What's cooking in my crazy kitchen

So I'm now 100% gluten free and my net carbs are limited to 50 g a day.  According to the anit-inflammation diet, which I read and loved and reviewed on the blog here, I still have work to do.  Since I'm not 100% off of my allergy meds (I'm still taking singulair, allegra and about 3x a week I take my inhaled steroid), there could still be a food allergy or sensitivity at play here.  But I'm fine with hanging out at this stage for a while as I adjust to my new diet/lifestyle.

What do I eat, you may be wondering?

Here's a copy/paste from my food journal on My Fitness Pal


Your Food Diary For:


Thursday July 12, 2012
 As you can see, my calorie goal that day was high - I rode my bike for 1.5 hours and earned an extra lotsa calories but didn't eat them all.  Also, you can see that my net carb intake is somewhere around 50 g daily (don't forget that net carbs is total carbs minus fiber grams).  I'm often way over "target" for a "normal" diet on fiber, fat, protein and way under "target" for carbs and sugar.  This is good for someone that has high insulin and doesn't want to trigger a big overreaction by her body.  A big insulin dump would mean an end to fat burning until the insulin "wears off (for lack of a better term, we will discuss that further in a future post)."

Are you interested in almond butter?  I made it myself using this recipe.  It's a great tutorial and the pics were really helpful when I almost panicked about the big ball 'o' nuts that was spinning around in my Cuisinart at the middle-stage.  Just push through, its worth it!

How about the pulled pork I ate?  I added zero carbs to this, so it only has what's in the pork naturally.  I used this recipe, but instead of beer, I added low carb (homemade) chicken stock.

So that's what I'm eating right now.  I try to avoid overly processed foods, but I eat "processed" dairy.  This is the next step to limit/eliminate but as I said, I'm trying not to go "whole hog" just yet.  We are easing into it at this point.

How do I feel?  Well.  Let's talk about that, shall we?
  1. I no longer have that sluggish "I didn't sleep at all last night" feeling when I wake in the morning.
  2. I no longer look all puffy like I got beat up in my sleep when I wake up.
  3. I don't need any more than ONE CUP of coffee in the mornings and if you know me, you know that's significant.  I used to have 2-3 cups of coffee and a diet soda daily.  Sometimes I still have a diet soda - I know its bad but honestly its twice a week MAX - because I want the carbonation and the taste, not cause I cannot live without it.
  4. I can exercise.  I don't fall asleep on the couch every day at 8PM.  I have worked it into my schedule (despite it cutting into my manuscript writing time!) and I'm enjoying it.
  5. I'm losing weight.  SO FAR, the scale is moving down.  We shall keep a close eye on that one because I plateaued very quickly last time I said that!
So how's that?  Worth a diet/lifestyle change?  I think so.


No comments:

Post a Comment