Thursday, January 31, 2013

Writing on writing.

I need to be sure to write more often.  I like to write and I'm pretty sure I have a decent voice and stuff to say.

So why don't I?

I am a bit afraid that no one will read the minutia of my mind.  However, if I don't put it out there, how will I know?  So here's what's on my mind today.

1.  There will be no CURE for cancer.  There will be personalized medicine and better approaches for sure but there is no cure and I am very bothered by all of the small organizations that "campaign" on this "WE WANT A CURE" platform.

2.  I think that scientific research is broken.  "The system" is set up to reward a small subset of people and accomlishments that aren't necessarily winning the battle against anything...and we have lost basic pure research (for no other reason than to figure out "life") in favor of translation to the clinic.  Not that translational research is a bad thing, but the days of the "-omics" are generating information at ludicrous speed and we don't know what to do with it.  At all.

3.  If everyone was in a little less of a hurry and more kind to one another, there would be less negativity in this world.  By that I mean what has happened to our sense of community as human beings?  I would love to talk to some evolutionary biologists and some anthropologists on this.  If you are one, hit me up.




2 comments:

  1. Number 1 makes me sad.
    Number 2 I have no clue about.
    Number 3 makes me sad too and I agree with you. I too find myself running to the next minute and really wish I could remember more to slow down and enjoy the process. Life is too short and most of the time we are rushing to things that will not matter a year from now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog and its been fun reading your process of figuring out your health. Would love to hear your next post!
    Makingthebfcworkforme@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete